This grant aims to help elite athletes with the travel and accommodation costs they incur as part of their pathway to national representation level (e.g. representing Victoria in National competitions).
This grant has, in previous rounds, been heavily over-subscribed, with the vast majority of applications failing to win any funding. As a result the grant provider is attempting to avoid wasting everyone’s time by being clearer on eligibility, particularly in relation to the definition of ‘elite’ to more specifically refer to athletes that have been selected or short listed for selection to represent Victoria in their chosen sport.
The Athletes Pathway Travel Grants program provides grants to improve Victorian athlete development pathways from Community to National representation level. Support is available to assist with the costs of Travel and Accommodation for:
- High performing athletes to represent Victoria
- Emerging athletes travelling to train or compete at events that contribute to their development within their sporting pathway towards State and National representation
Who can apply / eligibility?
Victorian Sport and Recreation Clubs can apply for funding on behalf of emerging athletes or teams to train or compete at events that contribute to their development within their sporting pathway (i.e. need to demonstrate that the events are recognised as the defined pathway for progression).
These clubs can also apply for funding for coaches and officials, but not for parents to accompany athletes.
Note that all participants must be over 11 years of age as at the 1st January of the year in which the eligible travel will occur.
Each funding round organisations can apply for two grants.
- Grants of up to $2,000 is available for teams with a maximum of $500 per team member.
- Grants of $750 for individuals.
Victorian sport and recreation clubs are eligible for a maximum of two grants in any financial year.
The travel and accommodation costs in this instance must occur between the 5th November 2019 and the 30th June 2020.
State Sporting Associations recognised by Sport and Recreation Victoria can apply for funding on behalf of high performance athletes or teams that represent Victoria. This representation may include mandatory training camps, selection trials and national championships / events.
In this category, for each funding round, organisations can apply for:
- Two grants for individuals up to a maximum of $1500 each.
- One grant of up to $6000 for teams with a maximum of $1000 per team member.
Recognised organisations will be eligible for a maximum of three grants in any financial year
The travel and accommodation costs in this instance must occur between the 1st January 2020 and the 30th June 2020.
The following will not be eligible:
- Athletes that are playing at the highest level for that sport in Victoria, unless those athletes have also been short listed or selected to represent Victoria in National competitions
- Athletes attending an event which is not recognised by their State Sporting Association as a National event for which qualification to participate can only be achieved through a defined pathway
- Officials who volunteer to attend and officiate at National events / titles
- Athletes who receive funding or in-kind assistance from the Victorian Institute of Sport or the Australian Institute of Sport
- Applicants who have received a grant under this program in the previous financial year
- The club / sporting organisation must apply on behalf of the team / individual/s. An individual cannot apply.
- The event must be of some National significance and a pathway to National representation level.
- The grant will only cover travel and accommodation costs, not any other costs.
If you are unsure of eligibility please contact us. We can also clarify eligibility with the grant provider.
If you believe you are eligible, please provide the following simple details:
- Who is the elite individual or team?
- What travel and accommodation costs will they incur? (e.g. flights, fuel etc) and how much for approximately. Note that the costs must be incurred within the eligibility dates noted.
- For what purpose e.g. which event? which activity? for regular training?
While the grant Deadline is 4th November, please ensure that you respond with all necessary information by no later than the 30th October for us to guarantee submitting your application on time. We will of course endeavour to submit applications for any late applicants, but cannot guarantee being able to meet the deadline. Quotes are not needed.